Home > Hazards > Mold > Your Health

PrintE-mail

Mold - Your Health

Excessive concentrations of indoor mold growth can lead to a variety of health problems. If you, a family member, or friend is experiencing any of the following symptoms, you could have an indoor mold problem. Don’t risk your health!

Molds produce health effects through inflammation, allergy, or infection. Allergic reactions are most common following mold exposure. Typical symptoms that mold-exposed persons report (alone or in combination) include:

  • Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath
  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Eye irritation (burning, watery, or reddened eyes)
  • Dry, hacking cough
  • Nose or throat irritation
  • Skin rashes or irritations
  • Headaches, memory problems, mood swings, nosebleeds, body aches and pains, and fevers are occasionally reported in mold cases.

"An estimated 37 million people in the United States suffer from chronic sinusitis… Our studies indicate that, in fact, fungus is likely the cause of nearly all of these problems." -1999 Study by the Mayo Clinic